Section 21, Deer Creek Township, Missouri
From Adrian, at the junction of US Highway 71 and Missouri Highway 18, go west on Highway 18 for just over 1 mile, at curve turn right (north) on Cemetery Road (county road # 1001) and go for2 ½ miles. Cemetery is on east side of road.
Those Who Rest Here
The staff of Poplar Heights Farm and many generous volunteers bring you these cemetery records. If the individual’s name is highlighted, we have additional information on that individual such as obituary, biography, photographs, news stories and other family history information. Please contact us for a complete listing of our records.
Click on the initial of the last name. Names highlighted in blue indicate that additional information is available on these individuals such as obituaries, biographies, photographs, funeral records, death certificates, family history and photographs of the person or memorial.
Crescent Hill Cemetery is named for the town of Crescent Hill. Originally, the town was called Union Town. It was named by the founders who were from Uniontown, Pennslyvania. The original proprietors of the town-site were William T. W. Elmore and John M. Rogers, who had the town surveyed in February, 1858.
William Hughes and Hugh Mills are the merchants and business men of the town. Mills is the proprietor of the only hotel in the place. About twenty families now (1883) reside in the place. G. W. Henderson and David M. Hughes are the physicians. W. T. Elmore was the first postmaster in the town, in the year 1857. He was succeeded by William S. Hughes, who served until the war of 1861, and was re-appointed after the war. The post office was discontinued in 1880.
William S. Hughes, John Moudy, Willis T. W. Elmore, Arthur Cox, Nancy Rogers, Henry Rogers, James Howerton, E. F. Rogers, William Rogers, Dr. G. W. Henderson, John Bricker, John Adams and G. W. Neff all lived in the town before 1860.
The first house was built at this place by E. T. Rogers. The first store was opened by Squire Hughes and David Hughes in 1858. The first blacksmith was a Mr. Brown, from Henry County. Before he came in the settlers had to go to William Tyree, in Henry County, to get their plows sharpened. It took an ox team two days to make a trip.
Dr. Henderson was the first physician. The first post office was established at the instance of Wyatt Sanford, postmaster at Butler, and John S. Phelps, then a representative in congress. William T. Elmore was postmaster. The first carrier that brought mail to the office was Harry Younger, the father of the somewhat celebrated Younger brothers now living a retired life in a state institution in Minnesota.
Crescent Hill revived somewhat after the war, but being missed by the railroad, its business has gone to Adrian, and its site is being converted into farms.
Source: History of Cass and Bates County 1883, W.O. Atkinson, p 821